Setbacks are average; meetings are the antidote

In my last post, I wrote about how wonderful things are when life is boring. And by boring, I meant having few or no nervous symptoms such as lowered tones, fearful and racing thoughts, fiery imagination and all the other fun symptoms that I experienced and eventually led me to Recovery International.

Well, I'm so thrilled that my life is no longer boring and I am in some kind of setback. It was so bad yesterday, I almost called my psychiatrist -- whom I haven't seen for almost a year -- and made an appointment. Instead of doing that, I should have considered attending a RI meeting.

When I started RI, I probably attended a meeting five or six times a week for about a year. After that first year, I still attended at least three meetings a week for quite a while. I did this for two reasons -- first, my symptoms were so acute, I wanted to go to meetings because they really helped me and second, because my symptoms were so acute, I couldn't work or do much of anything else except attend RI meetings.

Flash forward 10 and half years and my life is totally different. Because of RI, I have obliterated many of the nervous symptoms that once bombarded me like a hail storm. I still have nervous symptoms, but they are milder and shorter acting. Dr. Low talks about his when describing nervous patients versus nervous persons. I'm not categorizing myself, but I do think I've made much progress toward becoming a nervous person.

The irony, however, is that in improving my mental health and reducing my nervous symptoms, I've also improved my life to the point where I can work, take care of my family and even have some semblance of a normal social life, which then leaves less time for meetings. After a while, I start having more symptoms.

So the antidote to my setback is to attend more meetings and, failing that, post more examples on the forum. How simple. Thank you, Recovery International, once again for reminding me to make a business of my mental health.

Comments

  1. Great post! Remember that setbacks are average, as is even letting meeting attendance slip. Endorse yourself for making your mental health a business by deciding to attend more meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nervous Girl, what an inspirational story you tell. I like your antidote! Keep endorsing. You've come SO far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 4th of July--A great opportunity to bear the discomfort

"The Wisdom of Dr. Low"

Creativity, Exceptionalism, and Bearing the Discomfort