Late to work - at least I have a job

This morning, I overslept. I don't usually work on Tuesday morning, but I covered for someone else at work, so I had to be there at 10:30 a.m. I rushed to get ready for work (never a good idea, as "rushing leads to tenseness") and arrived at the college where I work 10 minutes early, but then I couldn't find any parking in the staff lot.

I drove in circles, up one level and then the next. All the spots in the staff lot were full and I had to turn around in one of the crowded aisles. I'm not sure at which point I worked myself up, but I think it might have been then. I exited the staff lot and drove to the student lot. As I wound my way up the parking structure, I felt myself getting tense and I kept thinking, "Why isn't there more parking for faculty and staff members? Why are there so many people here today, it's the third week of class?" and "I'm going to be late even though I was here on time; why didn't I try to get here earlier?"

I didn't spot then, but when I got out of the car, I felt myself wanting to run to work. My RI training kicked in and I remembered that rushing leads to tenseness and I commanded my muscles to slowly walk to the elevator and then to work. I had fearful temper because I hadn't left earlier for work and angry temper at the overcrowded parking situation. I endorsed for slowing down and not rushing to work even though I knew I was already 10 minutes late.

Before RI, I would have not even had a job such as this. I was always late to work, even when I could find parking. I would have run to work from the parking lot and been upset when I got there. It would have sent me into a panic and ruined my day.

I know this is an example and I'm not asking for spots here (although you are welcome to spot if you want as it helps). My point in posting this is that I want others to see (and I'm hoping some new or non-Recoveryites are out there) that RI helps us manage the symptoms we get when faced with these annoying inconveniences of daily life.

Comments

  1. Great example! To not find parking or to be late occassionally is average, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, Nervous Girl (although I wonder if you're really so nervous any more: Lots of not-so-nervous people would get themselves very worked up about not getting a parking spot and being late for work.) You demonstrate that calm begets calm, and that it's a triviality to be one minute later for work--and far better to arrive with your wits about you than upset and unable to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you wrote, I have learned something new today and something that I trully need. Thank you, you are my example going forward. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been a stickler for not wanting to be late. A few weeks ago I was running late driving to a Dr's appointment and in the process received a speeding ticket for going 51 in a 35 MPH zone. Needless to say not only was I upset about originally being late but was berating myself for getting a ticket as well as wasting another 10 minutes after getting pulled over. This was my first ticket.

    After getting to the Dr's office I had to wait 30 minutes to be seen. I wanted to shout, "don't you know I rushed here to be on time and got a ticket, and now here I sit waiting to see the Dr." It totally ruined my whole day and I was stressed for about a week just dealing with the whole thing. I couldn't even tell my husband fearing he would get upset and make me feel even worse because it would cost $382.00 plus traffic school.

    So I now try to leave earlier and not let it stress me if I am running late, and I drive slower. I am definetly looking into RI as I am dealing with stress on a daily bases and know it isn't healthy and sometimes I don't think I can deal with it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new relatively new to Recovery (approx. 2 months) and I feel I'm a bit slow on the uptake I'm afraid. This is my first time viewing this blog and was immediately drawn to the heading "Late to work - at least I have a job". I am late for work every day for 15 years! I just can't (won't?) get out of bed on time. Getting out of bed is a problem for me every single day - not just work days. Procrastination is a major constituent of my lifestyle in general. I don't enjoy the fact that I have to stay late every evening at work to make up for my late arrival in the mornings, and I don't understand why I seem to be continually resisting change. Moving the humble muscle doesn't register with me in the mornings. I suffer from depression and OCD and I regard my bed as a safe haven for me. I'm typing this v. quickly as I'm at work - I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for my query, but if anyone has any suggestions to help me overcome my problems, I would greatly appreciate hearing from them. Thanks! I want Recovery to work for me and I enjoy reading Dr. Low's works, but my very slow progress makes me anxious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Wisdom of Dr. Low"

The 4th of July--A great opportunity to bear the discomfort

Creativity, Exceptionalism, and Bearing the Discomfort