Getting well means getting things done

It's been ages since I posted here, but that's because I've been busy. I've thought about posting here and about what I might want to post, but I never got around to actually writing about anything. But now it's past midnight and I've got a million other things to do, so what do I do? Post something here. This past year has probably been one of the busiest years I've had since I first started attending RI meetings in 1999. I can't believe it's been 14 years. I'm working more hours now than I have since before I began RI (for a few years I didn't work at all, just attended RI meetings -- sometimes that is the best thing a person with severe nervous symptoms can do for herself or himself). Since graduating with a master's degree and starting part-time work, I've gone from working 5 hours a week to working 12 to 16 hours a week. My son is almost ten and he keeps me working, too. We just spent a day at the park with our homeschooling friends and I didn't get home till after 6:30 p.m. Then it was on to making dinner, reading, and bedtime. I then spent an hour responding to emails and sending emails for various responsibilities I have. And now I'm thinking of applying for a full-time job. Jobs in my field evaporated in 2007 (the year I graduated, of course), so when I saw a job listing last week for something that looked viable, I started thinking I might have a chance even if 50 other qualified people also apply. I've also taken online creative writing classes for the past few years, and now I spend time journaling and writing short stories. Long ago, perhaps at my first or second meeting, I heard someone say, "We don't wait to get well to do things, we do things to get well." I pondered the meaning of that for a long time. I wondered how I could do things without getting well first. It took me a while, but I realized I was using backward logic. If I sat around waiting to get better, I'd never get better. If I did things, ignoring my symptoms or spotting on them so they didn't work me up, I proved to myself that I could do things and then did more and more things until I functioned. I still have symptoms, but I spot on them and don't give in to what Dr. Low called the "defeatist babble of the brain."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Wisdom of Dr. Low"

The 4th of July--A great opportunity to bear the discomfort

Creativity, Exceptionalism, and Bearing the Discomfort